Feb 7 2013 by Caitlin Black, Harrow Observer
PERSISTENT neighbours are celebrating after an appeal to build a three-storey block of flats on a former nursery was dismissed.
Proposals to demolish a former nursery school in West End Lane, Pinner, and build nine flats and an underground car park have been turned down on appeal after determined residents fought for three years to stop the plans.
Cynthia Wells, of the Pinner Association which opposed the plans, said: “I think dismissing the appeal is a triumph for common sense.
“The proposed flats were an over-development and totally out of character with the area. It is splendid that the council’s planning committee considered the evidence and listened to local residents and, despite the application being recommended for acceptance by the officers, turned it down. It is great that their decision has been vindicated by the planning inspector.”
Harrow Council first rejected the application on March 2 last year and the decision to refuse the appeal, which was submitted by Paul Newman on behalf of Quebe, was made by planning inspector Matthew Nunn on Wednesday last week.
Permission has been granted, however, to build a slightly smaller development of six flats at the site.
Mrs Wells added: “We have tried really hard to not let this happen. We are pleased that the nine flats are not going ahead, but the six flats are still an over development on the site.”
In a letter of objection sent by Martin Verden on behalf of The West House and The Heath Museum Trust last year, it said: “We object to the proposal because a three-storey building, near the brow of West End Lane on a small site with no front garden will seriously detract the ambience from the surrounding area. The street is one of the original streets of medieval Pinner Village and the proposal is an over development of the site.”
Micaela Smith, of West Way, Pinner, also objected to the plans, stating: “It will overlook the primary school, there is already a very busy part of town at school drop off and pick-up times.
“It will increase danger to schoolchildren in the area who are encouraged to walk to school, especially during its construction.”
Pinner South ward councillor, Chris Mote said: “I back benched for the refusal at Harrow Council Planning meeting, where I argued that its bulk was too big and that it was out of character with its surroundings.
“I am therefore pleased that the appeal was refused and that the planning inspector agreed with the council’s decision.”
A planning application was submitted by Miss S A Malik on September 11, 2009, to demolish the nursery school building and replace it with a two-storey building with habitable roof space providing six flats and vehicle access. This application has been accepted.
Spokesman for Quebe, Kevin Chitty declined to comment.