Oct 15 2012 By Ian Proctor
A MAN who died at South Harrow Tube station yesterday after being struck by a train was 56 and lived in Harrow, police said.
The station, in Northolt Road, was shut following the fatality at 12.37pm, according to British Transport Police.
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesperson said: BTP officers were called to South Harrow London Underground station on Sunday, October 14, after a report that a man had been struck by a westbound Piccadilly line train.
The incident was reported to police at 12.37pm and is being treated as non-suspicious.
Medics from the London Ambulance Service also attended but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Enquiries are ongoing to establish the mans identity and inform his family.
A file will be prepared for the coroner.
The track was handed back to London Underground at 1.36pm and services resumed.
Bystander Adam Lorenzo said: "I was outside the station, waiting for my girlfriend who was on the train, then five police cars turned up at the station and told everyone to leave, then locked the entrance.
"Two fire engines turned up, followed by an ambulance responder car.
"It turns out the train my girlfriend was on, was the one the man jumped in front of. They were held on the train for around 10 minutes before being escorted off."
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said a crew each from Ealing and Stanmore Fire Stations attended and that it is not unusual for firefighters to be called to these kind of incidents due to specialist skills such as using cutting equipment.