Aug 23 2012 by Caitlin Black, Harrow Observer
A DAUGHTER bravely saved her sleeping parents from being engulfed by a fire in their home.
Alishah Jiliani was awoken by the smell of smoke at the family’s house in Nower Hill, Pinner, at about midnight on Thursday last week.
The 44-year-old solicitor went downstairs to discover smoke coming from a dishwasher in the kitchen.
She quickly shut the door to contain the fire and went to alert her mother and disabled father – who were asleep in a room next to the kitchen – before calling the fire brigade.
Miss Jiliani was unable to carry her 74-year-old father, wheelchair user Ifljilani Butt, alone, so she first led her 73-year-old mother, Suary, to safety.
When the firefighters arrived, she told them where her father was and they got him out of the house.
Miss Jiliani said: “It was scary. I could smell smoke coming up the stairs and went downstairs to check it out.
“When I got to the kitchen I saw that it was coming from the dishwasher, so I shut the door and went to wake up my parents, who were asleep next door.”
Miss Jiliani was treated for smoke inhalation and was taken to Northwick Park Hospital for carbon monoxide tests.
Her parents were not hurt and did not require treatment. They returned to the house after the fire was extinguished.
Miss Jiliani was discharged and returned home at 5am. “Looking back at what happened, it was really bad,” she said.
“I am glad we all got out safely. The firefighters and police were really nice and helpful, they did a brilliant job.”
London Fire Brigade sent three appliances with 15 firefighters, from Harrow, Northolt, and Wembley to the blaze. They discovered the fire was caused by an electrical fault in the two-year-old dishwasher.
A neighbour told the Observer: “There was so much noise going on, I heard screaming and shouting. My husband got up and went to go and see what was happening, it was crazy.”
Harrow Fire Station watch manager David Donaghey said: “Our crews did very well with what was a challenging situation. Fortunately, no one was severely hurt
“The house did not have any smoke alarms, so we fitted some for the family after the fire was out.”